Fiber Optic Technician
Fiber Optic Technician
FULL-TIME TEMP TO HIRE
We are looking for a San Juan Island-based fiber technician to join our team! Must be a team player and be able to work independently. Physical requirements include climbing and lifting, trenching, working from bucket trucks, and some office work. Construction experience a plus! Excellent communication skills, customer service, troubleshooting, and installation abilities desired.
The principal responsibility of this position is the installation of Rock Island’s Fiber Optic plant. Assists in installing both outside plant and in-home fiber-optic service; Pumping, jetting, and hanging fiber optic cable; Splicing and patching customers onto the network; Troubleshooting connections and interacting with customers on-site.
- Taking care in the use of company equipment and vehicles used to install fiber optic/wireless facilities.
- Communicate with customers regarding their connections and scheduling.
- Perform in-home installations and support customer needs.
- Fulfill warehouse responsibilities in stocking, transferring, and charging material.
- Completing all necessary paperwork.
- Deliver activation instructions to Finance and Technical Support when customer in-premise installation is complete.
- Communicate with others regarding projects and potential issues that arise.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The majority of this work environment is in the field. Included but not limited to customer premises, public franchise areas, warehouse locations and remote islands. Each Technician will be referred to a home office as a base location to report for work related meetings and projects. Travel to and from different islands occur on a regular basis and will require the ability to flex one’s schedule to accommodate local transit operations.
- Minimum Education: High School Diploma
- At least one year of experience in a customer-facing construction or technology role.
- Must hold a valid local driver’s license.
- Must be able to travel to other islands via ferry, small boat, or plane.
- Must attend company-sponsored safety program meetings and training, as directed by
- Must be able to perform labor-intensive work on occasion that would including lifting, digging, crawling in confined spaces, and climbing when certified by the company to do so.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with staff and management in a timely manner
- Must have good customer relations and maintain a high level of professionalism when representing the company.
- Must demonstrate the ability to learn and understand basic network functions and basic infrastructure systems.
- Must maintain a CPR/First Aid certification
- Must acquire and maintain a flagging certification
- Must acquire and maintain a forklift operation certification
- Safety conscience
- Excellent communication skills
- Aptitude for learning
- Basic MS Office skills
- Motor skills for the operation of equipment such as boom trucks, ladders, hydraulic trailers and jetting equipment
- Light mechanical knowledge and troubleshooting skills
- Operate and maintain software platforms
- Read and discern maps
- Note-taking skills